Skip to main content

Motherhood in Nature ~ A true Story



How Nature Stands


I love nature and believe that all of nature feels, is alive and has intelligence. A few months back I was sitting on my porch where there is a view of 2 acres of beautiful woods as all wildlife comes to life and continues to gift me with its many inhabitants, their dances, lives and beauty. A breath taking scene that nurtures and uplifts my soul.



Carolina Wren

Almost every day I had been sitting on my porch observing nature. Among it there was this little Carolina Wren, who always sat near my porch to greet me. She chirped and had something on her mouth. As I observed her, she flew on top of the bathroom window, where she was building a nest. I would see this continuum almost every day. She would chirp like announcing herself. Then she would fly to the bathroom window to continue building and propping her nest. There was this sense of proudness coming from her. 

I could feel her energy and joy, but also the sense of responsibility she felt toward becoming a mother. Her partner showed up as well as they watched and protected the nest for their soon to be born babies. 

I was dying to see how the nest was coming along. If they had laid some eggs. What colors where they? how many? what did they look like? Curiosity kept me at bay, yet I never got near the nest for it is important to be respectful of nature. Always!

Then one day, out of nowhere I heard a new song. It was quiet tiny chirping sounds, very quiet and gentle. It sounded like baby chirping sounds. I could  not believe it! The babies had been born! Since then I'd talk to them every morning: "welcome to this earth little ones," adding "I love you ", "your beautiful" and a few more words that came to heart. I believe they got used to my voice.  The parents were used to me so they were not afraid of my presence near them, yet I never went near the nest.

They'd protect it like hawks. Always standing on the hammock that extended itself on the ground below the nest in front of the window.  They were always looking around to make sure there were no predators and when safe, would fly into the nest to feed and care for the babies.

I would see her fly from the nest and come back with something in her beak to feed her babies, several times during the day.

The sensation that took over me was a gentle yet strong sense of her feeling of motherhood and the responsibility she felt toward her little ones. Her partner also flew around and brought food and always made sure no one else would come around.

There was an elegant cardinal that would come once in  a while to greet me with its elegant red suit and song. A delight on its own. Oh! Yet the wren parents made sure it would not come near the nest and would 'shoosh' it away when it was getting seeds near their home.

I got really used to hearing the babies chirping and singing every day. It made me always wonder what the babies looked like and always imagined these pink featherless baby birds. I wanted to take a peek but didn't dare and was afraid the mother would leave them because of it.


II 

One Friday morning I woke up not feeling my best. Had not had a very good nights rest and was feeling awful in many ways. Did not even want to go outside. Then suddenly a voice told me : "Go outside."  

Grudgingly, I made a salad and went outside. As I stepped out suddenly out of the nest this bird flew directly towards me and gently hit against the screen of the porch. The porch has a screen around it and unfortunately the door was closed. 

I thought: "Awww! perhaps it smelled my food.  I stopped and looked where it went next, and there on the ground below the hammock were the three little munchkins. Yes! that's right! The babies full grown, small but with all feathers and all. Their feathers were fresh and bright.

The three stood below the hammock as if though in a very important meeting, discussing something vital. Apparently, they were getting ready to take their first flight. The three got closer to the wooden rim that faced the woods. They stood there overlooking nature. 

The parents were watching over them flying around them and standing near and around them making sure they were all right.

 Then suddenly the first one grabbed its courage, took a leap and flew to the nearest by tree. I couldn't believe it! Then in your marks, get set... the second one took the leap and flew to nearest branch of another tree. But the third one, stood back. 

He couldn't do it. I believe, yet am not sure it was the one who had hit the screen, even though it had been gently it must've gotten scared. He didn't seem to be hurt. He kept trying to muster up the courage, yet he couldn't do it!

All the while the mother was observing from a lower step hiding in a pink flowered bush. She kept watching it. Then when she saw he couldn't do it. She flew briefly to it and they both gently took a small step to the next level of floor garden, then shortly flew near into the bush.




 A few moments later, both of them took flight to the nearest tree and then, voila, there they went.  The whole family flying into the woods, into nature, into life....


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The next day I wrote this story. I took a step into the porch when suddenly in my disbelief (after @ 8 or 9 months of not showing at all), the mother showed up om the front tree. She started chirping, then flew to the hammock and into the nest above the bathroom window. I was totally amazed, and delighted to see her back. Apparently she is having new babies... the circle of life... magical indeed...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Miracle in Disguise

FRAU HERMIN A week ago I receive a message on Facebook from someone: "Did you go to the German School by any chance?" to which I responded a, "Yes! why?"  "I have something for you. Do you have whatsapp?" "Yes, here is my number." I replied. What he shared with me pulled me right out of my socks. I The bell rang. It was time. It was time for that class. It was time for that class that I dreaded so much. I had arrived early that morning on the bus that crossed the bumpy road to the main gate, where all the school buses parked. My leather backpack was somewhat heavy, yet I loved it. It was given to me by my mother. We had bought it in a nice place at "el mercado de artesanias." It was a good partner in my first days of school, learning how to read and write and the gist of things in the world of education.  The school had recently moved to that far away location, that stood proud in the lands of my countr

Emilia's Secret Wish

Emilia's Secret Wish Emilia was swinging under the tree in the Autumn garden. Her beautiful long young hair was set up in a nice ponytail sealed with bows of pink and purple.  As she dangled herself back and forth, she looked  up to stare at the clear blue skies that were gently brushed by a soft white cloud here and there. Wondering! This was the very day. She wanted to be with her daddy, who was far far away where only birds could fly or only those big big heavy metal machines could arrive. She then swang slowly until she came to a full stop, dragging her feet in the dusty dirt beneath the swing looking down at her pearl white shiny "charol" shoes. A knot welled up in her throat as tears began to trickle down her seven-year-old cheeks.  Then she remembered that her purse was hanging across her chest. She slit her small hand into it and took out her tiny little Minnie Mouse coin purse and began to count 25 cents, 50 cents, a dollar, $2, until

'Dora' the Lady Bug

Dora  the Miracle Lady Bug Nature always speaks to us, through its many colors, contours, winds and airs, sounds and mysteries, and especially through animals and their unique characteristics and totem meanings and scriptures. I really believe animals speak to us every day giving us messages to help us have a more meaningful life, filled with magic in a deeper sense and sensibility .  I woke up early that morning, grabbed my iphone and walked towards the porch to have my morning green juice, then placed my iphone" (addictive as it is) on the rim of the porch. When suddenly I became aware that there was a beautiful orange ladybug with a glow of a big hello. I greeted it with  a smile and felt great joy in my heart for they represent good fortune, and other deeper totem meanings, plus are so beautiful an vibrant. After a moment I became aware that it could not fly. It tried several times to stretch its wings yet one of them seemed to not work very well. Somehow