Skip to main content

Darvina, the One with the Dirty Shoes


Darvina, the One with the Dirty Shoes





Once upon a time there was Darvina, the one with the dirty shoes. She loved her shoes that had features of her life printed on them. Shoes that had walked through various places: through palaces, through elegant houses, villages, rivers, forests, through markets, through long roads that life had presented to her.

Every time she passed somewhere, no one noticed her. Her dirty shoes were her emblem, she did not change them for anything in the world, broken as they were, comfortable as a glove.

Once walking along the road an old man appeared to her, sitting on by the highway, shepherding a white sheep. The sheep with its entangled hair and gray stains, picture imaged her broken shoes, gray, semi-white, black and dirty - dirty. It even seemed that they had a bad smell.

Darvina did not care. The world had made her that way. She once had a pair of red patent leather shoes, shiny and clean. They were polished daily, with her sponge dress extended and the driver who would open the door for her to take her to the next elite party somewhere. As a little girl, they would sometimes take her to a piñata with her red-colored dress and pressed ribbons in her dark hair. 

She had had enough. She was through to live in a world of luxuries where the treasures that were sought were very distant from the treasures of  the heart that she loved to find. Her shoes. Her utmost adoration. In that way no one would  turn around to view her with that look, which many times had blown away her sparkle.

For the envies of that past life of luxuries that now seemed very alien and distant to her, had swept her and dragged her to a place where her heart in shreds had to rise.

Being free, she was happy. At times she seemed to be 5 years old. The ways of the world no longer made her heart tick. What was really real made it tick. That which was truly valuable, the plants, the rivers, the prairies, the animals. She communicated with them all the time. Her dirty shoes allowed her to hide among the trees without being seen, which helped her to get closer to them.

With humanity, She could no longer deal with. Her generosity, her kindness and her goodness had often been trampled and stepped on. She returned everything with a smile. Until her body could no longer hold, her soul could no longer endure. She moved into living a different life.

Darvina had met someone very special, that special someone made her see that the stars of the sky were attainable with a direct look from the heart, with a yearning for a sigh of God, a true word of Love, pure,  innocent, without conditions.

The incredible thing was that Darvina raised dust wherever she walked by. it was tornadoes of dust, smoke, and so on, where in the middle she disappeared without being seen. People always wondered, what was that swirl that lifted and rose from nothingness. Her soul Alive, always alive.

A suffering soul that shone and illuminated the sky with her innocence that someone once wanted to steal, yet she fought to recover and retain it.




II


She sat down next to the old man and asked, "Can I help you?"

The old man scratching his head said, "Yes," to which she was surprised. 

"Tell me," she replied.

"Take off those old shoes."

"My old shoes?"

"Yes, beautiful one, your shoes old and dirty." He insisted.

"It's about time you returned to your land, your family, your people, don't you think?" He added.

Darvina stared at him, seas of tears running down her cheeks.

"I can't." She declared. "I worship them,  they are my identity, my everything."

"I understand," said the old man. "Come sit closer, there's something I want to show you."

She sat closer, as he started talking and talking and talking incessantly. She. Listened.

The night darkened and they began to see the stars.

"See that one over there?" The Elder asked.

"The one that is bright, the one that is really shining?" Darvina replied.

"No," he replied. "The one next to it, the smaller one, the one that barley twinkles."

"Ah, yes," she said.

"You see?" He told her.

"Yes, I see." she replied.

"Have you understood?" 

"Yes I have..."  she answered.

She took her treasured dirty shoes off and handed them to Vedas, the old man and began to walk towards her new destiny.

"It will not be easy," Vedas told her.

"I know," she said turning her head to see him one last time, "but I'm ready. Thank you!"

"What for? " The old man replied.

"For making me see... Thank you!"

"Ah," he replied, "go, go ... you'll find it, you'll see."

"I hope so," she said, "Thanks."

"Do not stop looking at the smaller star, She will let you know."

Darvina began to walk away into the horizon, towards her new destiny. 






What was waiting for her was not easy, yet it was the way ... when she disappeared on the horizon, Vedas looked up, smiled and said: "At last!"

Sitting on the grass, he saw the distance becoming dark, and there in the sky appeared, that tiny small star that someday will shine again...







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Miracle in Disguise

FRAU HERMIN A week ago I receive a message on Facebook from someone: "Did you go to the German School by any chance?" to which I responded a, "Yes! why?"  "I have something for you. Do you have whatsapp?" "Yes, here is my number." I replied. What he shared with me pulled me right out of my socks. I The bell rang. It was time. It was time for that class. It was time for that class that I dreaded so much. I had arrived early that morning on the bus that crossed the bumpy road to the main gate, where all the school buses parked. My leather backpack was somewhat heavy, yet I loved it. It was given to me by my mother. We had bought it in a nice place at "el mercado de artesanias." It was a good partner in my first days of school, learning how to read and write and the gist of things in the world of education.  The school had recently moved to that far away location, that stood proud in the lands of my countr

Emilia's Secret Wish

Emilia's Secret Wish Emilia was swinging under the tree in the Autumn garden. Her beautiful long young hair was set up in a nice ponytail sealed with bows of pink and purple.  As she dangled herself back and forth, she looked  up to stare at the clear blue skies that were gently brushed by a soft white cloud here and there. Wondering! This was the very day. She wanted to be with her daddy, who was far far away where only birds could fly or only those big big heavy metal machines could arrive. She then swang slowly until she came to a full stop, dragging her feet in the dusty dirt beneath the swing looking down at her pearl white shiny "charol" shoes. A knot welled up in her throat as tears began to trickle down her seven-year-old cheeks.  Then she remembered that her purse was hanging across her chest. She slit her small hand into it and took out her tiny little Minnie Mouse coin purse and began to count 25 cents, 50 cents, a dollar, $2, until

'Dora' the Lady Bug

Dora  the Miracle Lady Bug Nature always speaks to us, through its many colors, contours, winds and airs, sounds and mysteries, and especially through animals and their unique characteristics and totem meanings and scriptures. I really believe animals speak to us every day giving us messages to help us have a more meaningful life, filled with magic in a deeper sense and sensibility .  I woke up early that morning, grabbed my iphone and walked towards the porch to have my morning green juice, then placed my iphone" (addictive as it is) on the rim of the porch. When suddenly I became aware that there was a beautiful orange ladybug with a glow of a big hello. I greeted it with  a smile and felt great joy in my heart for they represent good fortune, and other deeper totem meanings, plus are so beautiful an vibrant. After a moment I became aware that it could not fly. It tried several times to stretch its wings yet one of them seemed to not work very well. Somehow